Sunday, April 20, 2014

Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna


Serving of Mexican Lasagna, with a dollop of sour cream
Personal Photo 


I’ve recently seen several “Mexican Lasagnas” posted around the web and decided to try one.  Some used flour tortillas, and some corn.  Although I generally prefer flour, I thought they might get doughy, and make it difficult to cut the finished lasagna into wedges.  I bought white corn tortillas.  I layered my lasagna with simple ingredients- refried beans, Spanish rice, black beans, corn, and cheese. 

I had read a Martha Stewart recipe for enchiladas where you fry the tortillas in oil, then coat them with enchilada sauce, so I decided to do that.  I fried each tortilla in coconut oil, then dipped them in sauce for each layer. 







I spread refried beans for my first layer, topped with cheddar cheese and chopped black olives. 




My second layer consisted of black beans and corn.  I spread a little shredded queso fresco on top of the beans and corn (not pictured). 




Layer three was some Spanish rice I had made, which was loaded with sautéed red and green bell peppers and sweet onion.  I topped this with a little enchilada sauce. 




Layer 4 was cheddar cheese and queso fresco. 




Layer 5 was another layer of refried beans, cheddar cheese, and chopped black olives. 




The final layer was another layer of black beans, corn, and quseo fresco. 




I topped the lasagna with a seventh corn tortilla, fried in coconut oil, then dipped on both sides in enchilada sauce. 




I covered my lasagna in foil, careful make the foil domed so as not to sit directly on the lasagna.  



I baked for about 40 minutes at 350°.  I removed it from the oven, topped it with shredded cheddar, then returned it to the oven a few minutes to melt the cheese. 




I let the lasagna cool for about 5 minutes, then cut it into quarters.  I topped it with sour cream.  Guacamole, salsa or pico de gallo would be great too.  I have a lot of friends who would throw on some slices of jalapeño on top.  I live in Texas.  I have friends that throw jalapeños on everything! 




 Personal Photos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment