Sunday, April 20, 2014

Return to Veggie Heaven in Austin


 Lucky Seven from previous trip to Veggie Heaven
Personal Photo


I previously wrote about my first trip to Veggie Heaven in Austin, Texas.  It is a very small restaurant in downtown Austin that serves mostly Asian-inspired vegan and vegetarian dishes.  The décor is not a big draw, but the food has been consistently good, and incredibly inexpensive.  I wanted to share with you photos from my second trip to Veggie Heaven. 


Last time my brother and I tried the veggie spring rolls.  This time we tried the veggie pot sticker.  They serve you 6 pan-fried pot stickers for $4.60, so definitely great for sharing.  These vegan pot stickers have shredded cabbage and carrots, and vegetable protein (I presume from soy), and comes with teriyaki dipping sauce.  These were good.  I would recommend the spring rolls and pot stickers. 

Veggie Pot Stickers, Personal Photo


I was not crazy about the steam buns, but my brother is a fan.  You can get 3 varieties, all vegan, for $2.50 each.  The Steam Bun has tofu, mushrooms, onions, cabbage, carrots, and vegetable protein.  The Curry Bun has tofu, onions, and other vegetables cooked in curry sauce.  My brother tried the Sweet Bun this time.  It has sweet red bean paste inside. 

 Sweet Bun, Personal Photo


We shared two entrees, both vegan and $6.95 each.  Most all the entrees come with a choice of steamed white rice, or brown rice.  One of our entrees was Spicy Tangerine Mushrooms.  The mushrooms were fried in a tempura-like batter.  They were coated in tangerine sauce and served with steamed broccoli.  This was a very good selection. 

Tangerine Mushrooms, Personal Photo


Our other entrée was Protein 2000.  Not a very enticing name, but one of their most popular items according to the menu.  It is “vegetable proteins made from soybeans” (I presume TVP) in a brown sauce.  It is served with broccoli also.  The medallions of vegetable protein definitely have a firm, chewy meat texture.  In fact, I had trouble cutting it with my fork.  I had to just bite it off.  I found it tasty, and texturally acceptable. 

Protein 2000, Personal Photo


I would recommend Tangerine Mushrooms and Protein 2000, as well as our two previous entrées, Lucky Seven and Eggplant Tofu. 


 Eggplant Tofu, Personal Photo



No comments:

Post a Comment