Saturday, April 12, 2014

Crock Pot Ratatouille


Ratatouille over Rice Pilaf, Personal Photo



Having used the website AllRecipes.com many times, I recently subscribed to AllRecipes magazine.  I found this recipe for Back-Burner Ratatouille, made in the crockpot.  I’ve never made Ratatouille before, but this was really easy, and turned out great.  I tweaked the ingredients a tad, and made some minor adjustments to the instructions. 

1 28-oz can of petite diced tomatoes
2 zucchini squash
2 yellow squash
1 eggplant
1 onion, finely chopped
½ tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tablespoon Lawry’s garlic powder with parsley
        or 3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
1 cup spaghetti sauce


Wash squash and eggplant.  I partially peeled my eggplant, removing ½” to 1” strips of peel evenly spaced with equal widths of peel.  Cut vegetables into ½ inch cubes.  Red, yellow, orange, &/or green bell pepper would be a nice addition too. 

Place cubed zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant in crockpot.  Add tomatoes, onion, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine. 




Vegetables in crockpot, ready to cook
Personal Photo 


Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8-10 hours.  Stir twice during cook time. 

 Ratatouille after about 5 hours on high in crockpot
Personal Photo


Add tomato paste, spaghetti sauce, and coconut or olive oil.  I used a large spoonful of Arriabiatta sauce, a large spoonful of Paul Newman Sockarooni sauce, and coconut oil.  Stir to combine. 

Cook uncovered 30 to 60 minutes on high to thicken. 

Serve over rice, pasta, or polenta. 


I served my Ratatouille over Turkish-style rice pilaf, and it was really good.  I have seen Ratatouille over polenta and Ratatouille over pasta on Rachael Ray’s website.  Rachael also has Ratatouille wraps, paninis, pizza, and more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment