Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Getting Started Ideas for Vegetarian Breakfast

 
Grits with Cheese and Tomatoes (Personal Photo)


Just starting to dabble in moving toward a diet with less meat, and more vegetables and grains?  It could be helpful to do some brainstorming on meatless dishes and meals that you already enjoy, or basic ingredients that you like.  I’ve compiled a list of vegetarian options for meatless breakfasts to get you started thinking. 
 

  Grits, Eggs, and Biscuits with Tomato Gravy (Personal Photo)
Grits & eggs:  This is our weekend favorite breakfast.  I cook grits, which I like with cheese.  Sometimes I make tomato gravy to serve over grits and biscuits.  We also like “scrambled eggs and stuff” at our house.  I sauté vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, and spinach, and scramble eggs into them. 

Oatmeal and cream of wheat:  This one is not for me.  I like grits, but with butter or cheese, not with sugar.  I don’t like hot cereals other than grits, but I do realize some people really enjoy other hot cereals for breakfast.  Dress up your oatmeal or cream of wheat with some fruit. 

Cereal and milk:  Need to eat quickly?  What’s faster than a bowl of cereal with milk, and maybe some fruit?  And there are scores of choices in breakfast cereals. 

Granola, muesli, and breakfast bars:  To me, granola and muesli are in a category of their own, and not merely breakfast cereal.  Make a nice mix of your favorite grains, seeds, nuts and fruits.  I like breakfast bars that are reminiscent of granola.  I have a great recipe from TV.  Next time I make them I’ll be sure to share! 

Toast and Bagels:  Try toasting your bread with a slice of cheese, or put an open faced pimento cheese under the broiler until bubbly.  Smear your toast or bagel with your favorite jam, jelly, or cream cheese.  Spread butter on your bread, sprinkle with cinnamon, and toast for classic cinnamon toast. 

Biscuits and Croissants:  You could make some really fabulous and delicious vegetarian breakfasts with bread.  Place some scrambled eggs and hash browns on refrigerated croissant sheets.  Roll up and bake according to package directions.  Chocolate chips or Nutella would also be good baked in a croissant.  Press refrigerated biscuits into a muffin tin.  Top with scrambled eggs and cheese, and favorite vegetables such as mushrooms, broccoli, or asparagus and bake.  You could use a vegetarian sausage crumble, but I personally stay away from texturized vegetable protein (TVP).

 
Chocolate Chip Pancakes (Personal Photo)
 
Pancakes, Waffles, and French toast:  For me this is another weekend breakfast.  There are endless tasty options here.  I enjoy the occasional chocolate chip pancakes.  When I was a kid, Mom made pear preserves every few years.  One year there were a couple pints of extra liquid, which made fabulous pancake syrup.  You can dress up pancakes, waffles, or French toast with fresh fruit, syrup, or whipped cream.  Try dipping apple rings in pancake batter, sprinkle with cinnamon, and cook on the griddle. 

When I was visiting in Holland, I had some of their famous pancakes a couple times.  They served a single huge pancake, which must have had extra eggs, because they almost had a crepe texture.  There were a couple dozen choices, but I always liked the ones with vegetables, like mushrooms and onions, over the fruity ones. 

 
Egg and Cheese Sandwich with Baby Spinach (Personal Photo)
Breakfast sandwich:  Grilled cheese would be a good breakfast sandwich.  My favorite breakfast sandwich is a fried egg sandwich with Swiss or cheddar cheese.  I also like sliced tomatoes, avocado, or baby spinach on my egg sandwich.  For a sweet treat, try a Panini made with bananas and Nutella. 

When I need to grab a fast food breakfast, my favorites are Wendy’s artisan egg and cheese sandwich, without the bacon, or their Panini, also without bacon.  The Panini has egg, cheese, and tomato. 

 
Panini with Banana and Nutella (Personal Photo)
Breakfast tacos:  Breakfast tacos were my mainstay for my vegetarian breakfast last fall when I was teaching.  I’d get potato, egg, and cheese breakfast tacos from Taco Cabana, which are relatively inexpensive. 

Fruit:  Fruits like grapefruit, honeydew melon, and cantaloupe make a good light breakfast. 

Quiche and Frittata:  The possibilities are endless for these classic egg pies.  Add a few of your favorite vegetables, and vary vegetables every time you make one.  

For ideas and pictures, visit my Breakfast and Brunch board at Pinterest.  Look for vegetarian options, and recipes that could easily be adapted into meatless versions. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment