Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Veggie Burger- Italian Lentil and Rice Patty




Italian Vegetarian Patties

I found a recipe for Italian Vegetarian Patties onAllRecipes.com.  The burger patties started with raw brown rice and raw red lentils.  I had some cooked brown lentils and cooked white rice on hand that I wanted to use.  The problem was translating the amounts and proportions with my ingredients already cooked.  Also I wanted to reduce the recipe, as the original was for 16 patties.  AllRecipes has an ingredient calculator, but I would need a second calculator to calculate raw to cooked!  I did a lot of guessing. 

I used leftover Uncle Ben’s long grain rice, which has a firm texture, somewhat comparable to brown rice.  I made some bread crumbs from a stale hot dog bun, then supplemented with some Progresso bread crumbs.  I had to cut the Parmesan cheese to less than I would like to have, because it’s all I had.  I added some chopped onion.  I used dry Italian spices, but I think fresh would be better. 

So here’s what I came up with! 



Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • 1 cup cooked, drained brown lentils
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 egg (or vegan friendly substitute)
  • 1/3 cup stale bread crumbs or Panko
  • 1/3 Progresso Italian bread crumbs
  • ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast flakes)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 Tablespoons Lawry’s garlic powder with parsley
  • ½ cup fine chopped purple onion
  • Coconut oil or olive oil for frying patties


Preparation

1- Prepare bread crumbs in food processor.  I used a really stale hot dog bun.  Empty from food processor.  Measure 1/3 cup and set aside. 
2- Fine chop ½ of a large onion.  I used purple onion, which I left in the food processor.  Next time I would set it aside and mix it in at the end. 
3- In the empty food processor, break down the rice. 
4- Add egg, both types of bread crumbs, and Parmesan.  Process to combine. 
5- Add spices, onions, and lentils.  Process to combine. 



6- Drop a large spoonful of mixture into oil in hot skillet.  Press with spoon into thin patty, the size of a bun. 




7- Fry until crispy, about 6 minutes per side.  Drain on paper plate or paper towel. 




8- Serve on an interesting bun with mustard, mayo (or Vegennise), or ketchup.  I used dill dip made with Greek yogurt.  Add your choice of lettuce, tomato, onion, or pickles.  Or try something different like cucumber, or grilled squash.  Add a slice of cheese or Tofutti cheese substitute. 



No comments:

Post a Comment