Monday, February 6, 2012
Okra, Tomatoes, & Potatoes
The end of the summer yielded lots of okra from my ScottArbor organic vegetable delivery program last year. I cut some up and put it in the freezer and used it later for making vegetable soup.
I also used organic okra for this new favorite meal. It is reminiscent of the classic tomatoes and okra that we often had when I was growing up. Fire roasted tomatoes really elevated this dish. And for me, adding potato wedges, and serving the final product over rice made it a satisfying meal, rather than just a vegetable side dish.
1 large can diced organic fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups water
2-3 cups okra cut into ½” rounds, stem ends disgarded
2 medium potatoes, cut lengthwise into wedges
Lawry’s seasoned salt
Lawry’s garlic with parsley
1. Empty fire roasted tomatoes into a Dutch oven pot. Add water and heat over medium to a low boil.
2. Season with Lawry’s seasoned salt and garlic powder.
3. Add washed and sliced okra. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
4. In a saucepan, boil potatoes until done. Drain and add to okra.
5. Simmer another 10 minutes.
6. Serve over rice.